Skip to main content

A Reflection on the Writer's Festival


One of the most extraordinary experiences I have had during my time as a La Trobe University student has been attending the Writer’s Festival in Mildura, as I learned a great deal about what direction I wanted to take my writing career in while also being fortunate enough to meet many writers in the industry who put their life and career into perspective for me. I was also captivated by the overall sense of community between the locals of Mildura who came out to the sessions during the festival; while the interaction and support of the writers had for each other was quite fascinating to see. 

A week before the commencement for the festival I wrote an article on Gail Jones (see here) who was one of the writers coming to Mildura, where I noted my hopes to meet and interview her if I got the chance. However, I did feel as though I spent the whole half of the festival nervous as it was all building up to her session yet despite  this I was able to have an interview with Gail and ask her a few questions about her novel A Guide to Berlin (2015). I also told her about my Japanese heritage and how grateful I was to her for including an accurate depiction of the two Japanese tourists in her novel, as it was fantastic to see the portrayal of their modern culture rather than the ‘pop culture’ side. To my surprise Gail then happily offered to send me a copy of another one of her novels based in Japan called Dreams of Speaking (2006), to which I was incredibility grateful for to receive. I don’t think any other writer inspired me more than Gail did that day at the festival, as her kindness and ability to overlook my nervousness made me feel much more at ease. Her graciousness as an author and humble personality proved me with an amazing interview, but she also taught me what it takes to be a successful author by explaining that it will not make you rich or famous, but it will give you the ability to share your knowledge and passion with the world.

Photo taken by Erica Little

I was also fortunate enough to get a few words from Sue Gillett, our teacher/ lecturer and subject coordinator of The Writers’ in Action class for The Mildura Writers Festival. I found Sue to be an incredibly wonderful teacher who was easily approachable, which allowed my teammates and I to enjoy the festival and the work involved with no difficulty. I caught Sue at the Phillip Hodgins Memorial Medal Dinner and asked her about her experience at the festival so far, and what she thought of the function that night. Sue spoke of the speeches given by the individuals who made the weekend possible, explaining how their words demonstrate the hard work that has been put into creating a sense of community at the festival. She believes that aspect has helped create a good space for everyone, as we all interact with one another including the writers; however they are still given the chance to mingle separately at the lunches and dinners. 
“…I think writers really like this festival, because they create intimate spaces for them. They respect them as writers, and give them opportunities to network with each other.”
– Sue Gillett
Overall the time I had at the festival was very enjoyable as well as educational, and even though Mildura was a long way out which made me quite anxious, I was still able to carry on with my work and meet many interesting people. There was a good social environment around me as well, as I was surrounded by good friends and equally passionate people from Melbourne all of whom made it a fantastic weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I am Most Looking Forward to- Gail Jones ‘The Art of Writing’

T hough there will be a variety of authors attending this year’s Writers Festival in Mildura who will all bring something new and fascinating to our arts education, for me personally I have felt drawn in with mysterious fascination by the Australian writer Gail Jones, whose collections of work have peaked my curiosity into what kind of insight she will provide in her talk ‘The Art of Writing’, alongside Helen Garner with Michael Meehan. At first when I begun to research the festival program and the people who would be holding the sessions, Jones seemed to be someone who stood out to me the most for honestly no particular reason. It was after looking into her articles of work and coming across her novel A Guide to Berlin (2015) that I began to grow interested in her as an author.   Mildura Writers Festival guest author: Gail Jones At first I thought the novel was simply just what it says in its title; that it was a tour guide for Berlin; but in actual fact it is a novel th

The Voice Inside the Writer

[This piece is written about my experience of hearing the writers read out their works on the final day of the festival, which provided a whole new dimension to hearing and seeing the characters and settings in their novels.] S omething I found to be quite extraordinary was the emotions in the voices for the writers, who all created something so powerful when they read the words out aloud from the pages of their novel, bringing the characters out into the world and giving them life. Unlike the thoughts in my short poem ‘I am a child to my emotions' where I spoke about how we all recognize characters in a certain way, it is from the authors readings that this idea is challenged. The audience was able to witness the true uniqueness of these characters, and listen as they came alive though the voice of the author who created them.  Though there where many readings on the final Sunday sessions, it was Helen Garner and Jason Porter's reading session that struck me the most,

A Guide to Berlin (2015) novel review

"The power of connections"- A review of Gail Jones' A Guide to Berlin (2015) Photo taken by Erica Little S et within the wintery European city of Berlin, A guide to Berlin (2015) is a powerful narrative driven by the emotional connections between a group of foreigners and their personal stories. As a veteran Australian writer, Gail Jones brilliantly captures the individualism of each person’s life and culture in her novel, as they are simply outsiders who stick together in foreign country. Despite their commonality however, a single ripple effect through the group divides them and eventually forces them to collide. This novel centres around the main character Cass, an Australian who journeys to Berlin and joins a group of travellers from all around the world for a ‘speak memory’, in which they disclose the intimate stories of their lives and how they came to be the person they are today. As the reader follows Cass throughout her journey in getting